In a nutshell:
IDEO Tokyo is in search of a Marketing & Communications Specialist (Japanese/English bilingual) whose primary focus is to implement growth and marketing strategies to help grow IDEO Tokyo’s business.
As a key member of IDEO Tokyo’s marketing & communication initiative, you will be responsible for sharing IDEO Tokyo’s work, contents, point of view, and stories with the world. Working with our leadership and our team of IDEO designers, you’ll be planning, tracking, implementing and evaluating the marketing & communications efforts. While the emphasis is on attracting business from new clients, the Marketing & Communications Specialist also plays an important role in surfacing the diverse voices of IDEO Tokyo’s designers out to the world.
Read more about What Marketing & Communication Look Like at IDEO
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
This year, IDEO Tokyo celebrated its 10-year anniversary. As we move into the next decade, we are looking for someone who can help elevate our brand toward our mission, which is to help enable change in Japan through design and creativity. A Marketing & Communication Specialist will make the biggest impact by creating engaging content from IDEO Tokyo’s client work and our internal points of view to be shared with the outside world. Your role is a combination of a journalist, an editor, a publisher, data analyst, and mission control. We’ll count on you to drive positive brand awareness and brand affinity in Japan.
Once here you will:
- Work with our leadership team to build a marketing plan that effectively aligns with our business, and mission.
- Create and execute IDEO Tokyo’s marketing and communication plans to deliver messages in a variety of ways using both owned (e.g. blogs, newsletters) and earned media.
- Manage IDEO Tokyo’s social media presence across all channels (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc)
- Craft compelling stories/case studies about IDEO Tokyo’s work, capabilities, thought leadership, culture and community for sharing across a variety of channels and mediums (online, publications, IDEO-hosted events, and other content-driven marketing initiatives)
- Actively monitor the consulting, creative, design industries for relevant developments and establish market awareness.
- Raise awareness for IDEO Tokyo’s work by vetting, identifying and coordinating speaking opportunities for our leadership and members of the design community.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams across the organization to ensure brand consistency on all external-facing communications.
- Track and monitor marketing programs and initiatives.
- Coach IDEO teams and people on their messaging and media opportunities.
- Work closely with IDEO marketing colleagues in other parts of the world to leverage news and stories from other IDEO locations as well as promoting IDEO Tokyo’s work to global.
- Work closely with D4V marketing colleagues to leverage news, stories of IDEO & D4V’s work and thought leadership where appropriate.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less and do more, learn from failure, and make others successful. IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in both the design process and your career.
Examples of IDEO Tokyo in the Media:
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Excellent native-level Japanese and English verbal and written skills.
- Experience working in a creative environment in PR and/or Marcom (Marketing & Communications).
- At least 5 years of working experience, primarily with businesses located in Japan.
- Experience working with a variety of media from online, print, and broadcast.
- Experience in cultivating and sustaining relationships with media representatives.
- Proven track record using social media and web-based channels as marketing tools.
- Excellent writing skills and is able to articulate accurate and timely communication to build and sustain momentum.
- Ability to keep an eye on the big picture while managing the details.
- A passion for design, businesses in Japan, creative industries and design.
- Compelling interpersonal, networking, communication, and presentation skills.
- Be extremely detail-oriented, and have excellent follow-through, devoted to seeing tasks complete
- Self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments.
- Great flexibility, and an openness to new ideas. Comfort level with having partners unfamiliar and sometimes uncomfortable with our process and way of thinking.
- Knowledge of Mac platform, well versed in all Google apps, Keynote, and very comfortable using the Internet as a research tool
- Experience working with CRM/Marketing tools such as Hubpot, Salesforce, etc.
- Ability to travel occasionally (only after COVID situation is revised).
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information.
- If you were to pitch an article about IDEO Tokyo to any media (can be printed, web-based, broadcast, event, etc), what media would that be? What theme would you pitch and why?
- If you were to change one thing about IDEO Tokyo’s current website, what would it be and why?
Application requirements & instructions:
Please submit the following in English:
- Cover letter
- Your answer to the pop quiz
- Writing sample and/or an example of a campaign or work of yours, and describe your role in the work
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.