In a nutshell:
We are seeking a Japanese/English bilingual Venture Capitalist to join D4V (Design for Ventures) in Tokyo.
As a VC at D4V, you will have the opportunity to work closely with startups across multiple industries in a collaborative environment. You will interface with a wide range of stakeholders (e.g. Startup Entrepreneurs, Portfolio Companies, Investors, IDEO Designers) and uncover promising startups and help grow their businesses in Japan and beyond.
Note: This is a role with D4V, working directly with the D4V Team and selected IDEO members. D4V and IDEO are co-located in Omotesando. Learn more about D4V at d4v.com.
D4V (Design for Ventures) is a venture capital firm in partnership with IDEO. We enable early stage Japanese ventures to create impact in the world through design, insights, capital, mentorship and networks. Our mission is to unlock Japan’s creativity and entrepreneurial spirit by co-creating with the ventures in which we invest.
The D4V Team helps ventures through its entrepreneurial, financial and managerial experience, and harnesses IDEO’s collective know-how, resources, and networks to build products and services, ship to users, get market traction, raise capital, and scale beyond Japan.
Once here you will:
Identify investment trends and opportunities by:
- Research: keeping an eye on industry trends, performing market research, and sharing it with the team.
- Deal sourcing: setting up meetings with prospective opportunities through networking, startup events and cold calling.
- Deal screening: call/ meet with prospects and evaluate opportunities.
Evaluate investment opportunities and conducting due diligence:
- Market research: Assessing the market potential as well as competitor dynamics.
- Startup evaluation: Analyzing business plan, assessing the strength of the company/ team, modeling and calculating the value of the opportunity.
- Expert interviews: Gathering information from industry experts, technical consultants, stakeholders who know the target startup, potential competitors, and potential acquirer.
- Documentation: Preparing investment committee documents.
Support portfolio companies by:
- Monitoring: Develop, track and evaluate startup performance and KPIs.
- Sprints: Collaborate with IDEO to develop and run design sprints for portfolio startups.
- Support portfolio companies' fundraising activities as required.
- Contribute to shaping D4V’s fundraising strategy for our second Fund.
- Actively participate in fundraising meetings with potential LPs.
- Contribute to all fundraising’s day-to-day operations.
To learn more about D4V:
Read about Design in Venture Capital
To learn more about D4V:
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Fluent Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant investing and venture capital experience.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, economics, finance, mathematics, business, technology or related fields.
- Passion and pulse for Japanese startups, entrepreneurship, the venture ecosystem.
- Passion for design and interest in working with designers to accelerate D4V’s portfolio companies’ growth.
- A high comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- Openness to critique from other disciplines (designers in particular) and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
What does D4V offer you?
D4V and IDEO are places unlike any other. A place where you can enable new ventures to grow, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in your career.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in English.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.